Sunday, July 22, 2012

Random Observations

1. I absolutely love the bells here. I know most people hate them, it rings every hour, on Sundays it rings all morning long. But to me, if I keep my eyes closed, it feels like I could be in 1860. Plus the fact that I can see the steeple from my window makes me feel like Wendy.

2. We have mice in our house. Actually, I think they're pretty much in all the old houses here. And I know that sounds gross, but I actually don't mind them that much. You just have to make sure not to keep food out, and I really don't hear them at night like all my roommates. I just didn't like finding that dead one downstairs by the front door. But they're kinda cute! I think I'm gonna start naming them...

3. I need to start using Rodolfo more. Because of my overprotective belief that everyone is out to steal him (yes, I know he's a poop brown secondhand bike), I keep him locked with a chain as thick as my forearm. Which is a pain to get off. So I'm having trouble shaking the habit of walking. I love walking! But I'm afraid I'm making Rodolfo sad... I'll have to stop being lazy and let him off his leash.

4. People in Leiden have a serious sleeping problem. The fact that I can get up at 8:30, run, shower, eat breakfast, loaf around and listen to music, be out on the streets at 11:30 and still be the only one there seriously concerns me. My friends say it's because Leiden is a student city so everyone sleeps late, but seriously people? Even the shops open at noon!

5. People don't really run here. Ok, yes I have seen a couple. But it doesn't stop me from getting strange looks... and comments. Yes, I am running in the rain. No, I don't need a ride home. No, I won't die of pneumonia. However, I appreciate the supportive bums in the park! "Ja, goed zo! You go girl!"

6. I live next to a Turkish bakery. Ok, and a coffee shop. But honestly, I'm more interested in the bakery. Do you know how dangerous/amazing it is to live next door to a bakery that just bakes fresh bread all day long? A mini baguette (read: a foot-long) is 35 cents! Ohmygod I smell it right now wafting through my window.

7. The clouds in Holland are awesome. I'm absolutely obsessed with them. Ok, it's really all of Europe. But they're so... dramatic. Our clouds in America, they're shrinking violets. These clouds are full blown CLOUDS, and they are just screaming to be painted. I call them Vermeer clouds, they're just oh so pretty!

8. Two other things I am obsessed with that my roommates think is hilarious. The windmill on our street. And rainbows. Yes, I know windmills are kind of a tourist oddity. But I think of the one on my street as a sort of pet. Every time I walk out of my front door, I glance at my beautiful windmill to see what direction he is pointing today, and whether he's spinning hard, a slower pace, or not at all. And the rainbows! They happen all the time here in Holland! I've already seen two, and I wasn't even in Holland last week! I caught my roommate looking out the window for a second longer than normal, turned around, saw a rainbow, and flipped out. They didn't understand the big deal. But come on people, correct me if I'm wrong, but in America if you see a rainbow, it's at least worth a mention, right!?

I'll just keep posting random observations about life here in Holland every once in a while. I haven't lived here in a very long time, and I'm just starting to remember how strange/interesting/amusing/awesome the Dutch culture is.

No comments:

Post a Comment