Tuesday, September 25, 2012

More random observations....

And now it's time for a second installment of.... "Kirsten's-thoughts-are-too-jumbled-to-organize-so-I'm-just-gonna-throw-them-on-the-page-rather-haphazardly"! And here we go...

1.) The best-selling book of all time is the Bible. Well, if you divided those statistics up by country, I am 100% sure The Netherlands' best-selling book wouldn't be the bible, it would be the agenda. Ok, fine, that's not technically a book, but you know what I mean. I will literally lick the street if you can find me one Dutch(wo)man who does not own an agenda. And I've been drinking the Kool-Aid here so yes, I have an agenda, so sue me. And you know what? That thing is awesome! I don't know how I lived without it!



2.) Traditional Dutch music, I'm talking about contemporary music sung in Dutch, that isn't necessarily listened to by the majority of the Dutch (they usually just listen to Top 40, Trance, etc.)  is absolutely hilarious/awesome. Enjoy!

Monique Smit - "Blijf je vanavond"

Marco Borsato - "Ik Leef Niet Meer Voor Jou"

And you know what? Try as I might to hate them, I find myself humming them at random times of the day. Dammit! Side note: I feel like Dutch might just be one of those languages you shouldn't sing in. 



3.) I ate herring! I'm not gonna lie, I was terrified. In Holland, a very common snack that you can buy on the street is raw herring. They clean it for you (there are still little spines), and serve it with onions on top. There is a very specific way to eat herring, as I demonstrate in the video. Oh, and I actually like it! It kind of tastes like a saltier sushi! PS- sorry the video is in Spanish/Dutch, I was making it for my friends in Spain who don't speak English (well, Kevin does). But last year I went with Alba to Holland and she was literally gagging when we went by the haring stalls. So of course I record a video for her of me eating it :P 



4.) Rodolfo was stolen :(((((( Rodolfo, if some of you don't know, was my trusty bicycle. Well, this past Saturday, I parked him next to... well next to The Next (a club here), yes... I might have been there a little late. But when I came out to get him afterwards, he was gone! Some drunk idiot took him :( he was locked and everything, but I guess they know how to pick that. RIP Rodolfo, you were good to me. 

5.) I saw the most amazing, incredibly unbelievable rainbow today. If you haven't read my previous blog posts, I am absolutely obsessed with rainbows, and they happen all the time here in Holland. But this one was really spectacular. Look at it framing my little house (the pointy brick one to the left)! If you haven't realized the extent of my fascination >>>> see my Facebook. 



Ok nu is het 1 uur 's nachts en ik ben nog wakker. Morgen heb ik 9 uur college, dus ik denk dat 't een goede idee is om naar bed te gaan. Welten rusten!  

No comments:

Post a Comment